HomePower Beats Club

Duterte to decide on fate of MWSS execs next month

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte will wait and see until April 15 before he decides whether or not to fire officials of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) over the water supply shortage that has been gripping parts of Metro Manila and Rizal.

“I will not make a prejudgment. I asked them–everybody concerned–to submit a report by April 10 and I will decide before April 15,” Duterte told reporters in an interview Thursday after the 122nd Philippine Army Founding Anniversary at Fort Andres Bonifacio in Taguig City.

ADVERTISEMENT

The President said he wants to find out if the water supply shortage is a result of “negligence” or something beyond the control  of the MWSS.

Earlier this week, the President told MWSS officials to “shape up or ship out” due to the water shortage.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: ‘Outraged’ Duterte threatens to fire MWSS execs

Duterte also threatened to scrap the contract of water concessionaires over the water woes.

Water supply interruptions in parts of Metro Manila and Rizal started last March 7.

Thousands of customers of Manila Water Inc.,  have been experiencing water supply woes.

MWSS Administrator Reynaldo Velasco had blamed the water shortage on the low water levels in the La Mesa Dam and the delays in the construction of the concessionaire’s Cardona Water Treatment Plant. / gsg

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next

LATEST STORIES

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.