Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano Photo by Otso Diretso
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte’s release of the list of politicians allegedly involved in illegal drugs ahead of the May 13 midterm polls was a “desperate act to save their fake drug war before the eyes of the public,” opposition senatorial candidate Gary Alejano said Friday.
READ: Duterte exposes 46 ‘narco politicians’ | Duterte names 46 pols on narcolist
The Magdalo party-list congressman dubbed the list as a part of a never-ending “narcoserye” (narco-series) and “propaganda.”
“Para tayong nasa narcoserye na ang pabida ay ang Pangulo. Paulit-ulit lamang ang mga patutsada, maglalabas ng mga pangalan, magkakaroon ng susunod na kabanata pero wala namang nakukulong. Let us not fall into their propaganda,” Alejano, an Otso Diretso senatorial candidate, said in a statement.
“This is a desperate act to save their fake drug war before the eyes of the public,” he added.
The former Marine officer also said the President’s release of the list was an “abuse of power and discretion which tramples on the rights of every individual to due process.”
READ: Duterte could be impeached for releasing ‘narcolist,’ says solon
Other senatorial contenders under the Otso Diretso slate also slammed the release of the names of the 46 alleged “narco-politicians.”
Former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay pointed out that the so-called “narcolist” remains a gossip without sufficient evidence to back it. He also warned that this was being used to sow fear and pressure local officials.
“Kung may sapat na ebidensiya, kasuhan nila ang mga nasa listahan. Kung wala, ang Narco-List ni Duterte ay isa lamang tsismis. Isa itong panggigipit sa mga lokal na pulitikong nais tumuligsa sa mga hindi makataong polisiya ng administrasyon,” Hilbay said.
“Malinaw naman na ang gusto ng gobyerno ay makontrol ang mga LGUs sa papalapit na eleksyon, upang maipanalo ang mga manok nila na may mga kaso ng pangungurakot, pagnanakaw, at pagsisinungaling sa bayan,” the previous Bar exams topnotcher added.
Former Deputy Speaker Lorenzo “Erin” Tañada for his part argued that the administration should be focusing instead on the issue of water service interruptions since last week than putting its energy on the narcolist.
“Dapat may managot sa kawalan ng tubig sa malaking bahagi ng Metro Manila at Rizal… Nagtatanong ang mamamayan, nasaan ang gobyerno? Bakit narco list ang binabanderang sagot? Nililihis na naman ang taumbayan sa napakalaking problemang kinakaharap natin araw-araw,” Tañada added.
READ: Duterte demands for release of water supply from Angat Dam
The Department of the Interior and Local Government said it already filed administrative charges against the politicians in the list for “grave misconduct, conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service, conduct unbecoming of a public officer, and gross neglect of duty” before the President made the live broadcast announcement via the State-run PTV-4 from Davao City on Thursday evening.
READ: DILG files administrative cases vs 46 politicians in ‘narcolist’
Veloso slams inclusion in ‘narcolist,’ says it’s politically motivated
Leyte lawmaker in narco-list to probe why he is being linked to illegal drugs
Antique town mayor in ‘narcolist’ says politics behind his inclusion
Bulacan mayor says his inclusion in narco-list ‘product of wrong info’
Subic mayor in ‘narcolist’ denies links to illegal drugs
Celeste eyes raps vs those who put him in ‘narcolist,’ Khonghun to consult with lawyer
Lucena mayor: Rep. Suarez responsible for my inclusion in ‘narcolist’
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.