Some 100 workers of Heavy Industries and Construction-Philippines form a picket line at the company’s gate after they were barred from reporting for work on Friday.The workers are among those who refused to sign the voluntary retrenchment program offered by the Korean firm that went bankrupt recently. (Contributed photo)
SUBIC, ZAMBALES — At least 100 skilled workers who opted to stay in the debt-ridden Heavy Industries and Construction-Philippines held a protest rally at the firm’s gate after they were refused entry to the shipyard on Friday.
Efren Vinluan, president of the Samahan ng mga Manggagawa ng Hanjin, said Hanjin’s management has banned the workers from reporting for work after they refused to sign the firm’s voluntary retrenchment program.
“We will wait here until the management talks to us. We will continue to fight for our rights,” he told the Inquirer.
Hanjin officials were not immediately available for comment.
On Jan. 8, the Korean company filed for corporate rehabilitation at the Olongapo City Regional Trial Court to protect it from its creditors.
The company owes $400 million in outstanding loans from the country’s banks, on top of another $900 million borrowed from lenders in South Korea.
Since December last year, the company laid off more than 7,000 workers and retained only 300 personnel, according to the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority.
Hanjin had a workforce of 30,000 during its peak. The company has offered a voluntary severance package for workers to cut costs./lzb
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.